Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Meme

     Seeing as that I'm still very much a newbie on this whole blog bit, I've decided that another milestone for me, and for this blog, is to partake in my very first meme. And what better one to do then the one that foreverclassics is doing? Incidently, hers is the first blogathon that I also did for Bogie.
     Well, shall we have a go at this then?

1. What is your favorite romantic comedy?

This is a hard one, but I'll go with:

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Psst! Do you think you can get me out of here?
Photo Courtesy of http://www.blogs.app.com
2. What is your favorite romantic drama?

This one, however, is easy:

Only Angels Have Wings (1939) 
(My favorite film of all time)
I'll light your cigarette for you, Cary . . .
My favorite actor and actress; can't get any better.
Photo Courtesy of
 http://www.cinemastationblog.wordpress.com


3. Worse romance film you've seen?

It's so stupid, and has absolutely no plot, but I still like it, because, well . . . Just look:
Did you honestly think those disguises would fool me?
Photo Courtesy of http://www.hoopla.nu
Paris When it Sizzles (1964)

4. How do you feel about the majority of romantic films being labeled chick flick?

It's absolutely stupid.

5. Favorite on-screen couple?

Again, hard, but after deep and considerate thought, I'm going to have to go with:

Cary and Katharine
(Photo shoot for Holiday, circa 1938)
I just love this picture!
Photo Courtesy of
http://www.dinnerplusmovie.wordpress.com
           
6. Favorite off-screen couple?

While I love them all: Bogie and Bacall, Tracy and Hepburn, I feel as though this couple gets blindsided just slightly, and so I'm going to go with them.

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward
One of the most enduring and sweetest loves.
Photo Courtesy of http://www.vi.sualize.us
7. Best kiss in a movie?

 As much as I love Cary, and believe me, I do, and as much as I wish that I could trade spots with Katharine Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, or any other woman that he made a film with, and I boy do I wish, I'm going to have to go with my other love on this one: Dean Martin. Here's a compilation of his kisses (I couldn't just pick one).

Dean Martin Kisses

How could any woman not want to be kissed by him?

8. Favorite romantic scene?

Dean and Judy Holliday in Bells Are Ringing (1960)

I just love this scene. I'd dance with Dean in a park
if I was even given half the chance. And is it just
me, or does the way Dean say, "Don't you like
dancing?" make you want to curl your toes and faint?

9. Who are two film characters that you wish gotten together, but never did?

James Stewart as Thomas Jefferson "Tom" Destry, Jr. and Marlene Dietrich as Frenchy in Destry Rides Again (1939).

The ending is terribly sad in my opinion.
Photo Courtesy of

10. Two actors you think would have good chemistry, but never done a film together?

Cary Grant and Barbara Stanwyck.
(And just for pure pleasure, Cary and Dean. I'd love to see how these two would've acted together)

11. Favorite romantic song (doesn't have to be in a musical)?

"Let's Call the Whole Thing Off"
 Shall We Dance (1937)

I say "either" and "neither" just like Fred. :D
I don't know if this is my favorite, favorite, but I do
like it a lot.

12. Best score from a romance film?

Wuthering Heights (Cathy's Theme, 1939) or Anastasia (1956); anything Alfred Newman.


One of the greatest film composers ever . . .
Alfred Newman.
Photo Courtesy of
http://www.projects.latimes.com/
13. Most romantic film quote?

I don't care how many times it's used:

"Here's looking at you, Kid."


Bogie and Bergman.
Photo Courtesy of
http://www.anomalousmaterial.com/
14. A film you would recommend to watch on Valentine's Day?

If you want to have some slapstick fun, then Bringing Up Baby, the ultimate slapstick comedy ever made. If you want some drama with some romance, then Only Angels Have Wings, The Philadelphia Story, and/or The African Queen. If you're in the mood for some music, then Bells Are Ringing. And still yet, if you want some paranormal happenings, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and/or The Portrait of Jennie.

     Well, there we are: my first meme. It was really fun; I'll have to do more of these, and, perhaps, one day have my own.

Happy Valentine's Day!
(A.K.A. Single Awareness Day!)

No comments: